This is a brief report to HIRA members and others on the Township of Frontenac Islands Council meeting which took place on Wolfe Island at the Municipal Office on Monday September 10, 2018. One of our directors attended the meeting. Only matters of particular reference to Howe Island or of general reference are highlighted here.
- Severances and Building Permits-A severance application was approved for a lot at 1450 Howe Island drive subject to certain standard conditions. Approval was given for an addition of a deck at 183 Goodfriend Drive and for a 11/2 story garage at 1205 Byrne Point Road. A question was raised as to the use of the second story of the garage; Council was informed it’s use was limited to storage. A question from the floor was asked about what Council could do if the second story was used as rental accommodation. The Mayor explained that that would be a job for the Township Bylaw enforcement officer.
- Cameras- One of the actions pending in the Public Works Manager’s Actions Pending Report received by Council is research into cameras for the Howe Island ferry Dock. For the last eighteen months, HIRA has been making representations to Council for the installation of real time internet connected cameras at each ferry terminal to give ferry users real time views of lineups and each ferry position.
- Removal of Trailer Hitches- Another one of the actions pending in the Public Works Manager’s Actions Pending Report is a Bylaw for the removal of hitches while accessing the ferry which would provide more room on each ferry for other vehicles.
- Trailers accessing the County Ferry without payment-The Actions Pending Report discloses that invoices have been issued to numerous persons accessing the ferry with a trailer without payment.
- Ferry Fees and Fares Bylaw- It has been confirmed that various options for adjustments to the fees and fares will be discussed at a meeting on September 27th 2018 between representatives of Township Council and the County of Frontenac Finance Director . If interested persons wish to forward suggestions for different types and levels of fare/fees/levies for the ferries, these should be forwarded to Carol Dwyre, Natalie Nossal, Bruce Higgs or Denis Doyle so that all suggestions can be considered at that September 27th
- All Candidates Meeting Howe Island- Council received for information that a HIRA sponsored All Candidates Meeting will be held on Thursday October 11, 2018 at the Parish Hall on Howe Island Drive at 7:00 pm.