Archives for April 2019
This is a brief report to HIRA members and others on the Township of Frontenac Islands Council Meeting held on Monday April 8, 2019 at the Township Offices on Howe Island. One of Directors attended the meeting. Only matters of particular reference to Howe Island or of general interest are highlighted here.
- Meetings—Council approved a By-law 2019-02 governing the proceedings of meetings of Council which includes a provision to permit Councilors to participate in Council meetings electronically only for meetings open to the public, only for one Councilor at the same time for the same meeting, only on 48 hours prior notice and only twice per year per Councilor. The By-Law contains other details relating to the electronic participation by Councilors.
- Public Participation—It has been the practice of Council in the past to permit members of the community before the adjournment of the meeting, to speak or ask questions of Council. That practice has been discontinued. If members of the community wish to address Council at a Council meeting, they must make application to the Clerk prior to 11:00 am on the Tuesday preceding the regular Council meeting completing the Delegation Information Sheet and Request Form found in the By-Law. An approved delegate is limited to 10 minutes to address Council unless extended by Council.
- Taxes—Council approved By-Law 2019-12, a by-law to approve tax levies. For Howe Island taxes will increase by 3.11%. In terms of dollars raised on Howe Island they are: from residential, $1,453,661; from farm, $13,649; from commercial, $2,067; and from managed forest, $351. Total for 2019 is $1,469,728 ($1,426,506 in 2018)
- Pay for Councilors—Council approved By-Law 2019-14 regarding remuneration and expense reimbursement for Councilors. For attending special and committee meetings Councilors will be paid $115 (up from $75); for conventions and training attendance, $150 (up from $100); for internet and cell phone use, $100 per month (up from $50). The Mayor will be paid annually $14,259.16, the Deputy Mayor $9,570.97 and each Councilor $8,231.87. Councilors are also reimbursed for meals and km driven.
- Works Manager’s Pending Action Report—The creation of Spithead Circle is in process with lawyers. The Howe Islander dock rehab will start after July 15th due to MNR permit requirements. Quotes for real time tracking and real time cameras at the ferry terminals are ‘in’ the ‘future’. (Later in the meeting, it was announced that the issue of real time cameras at the ferry terminals would be put over to the ferry committee. Committees are currently scheduled to be appointed by Council in May.) The hot asphalt machine has been purchased but asphalt is not available until warmer weather. Work on North Shore Road, Spithead, Baseline and Howe Island Drive is ongoing without definitive dates either in the report or at the meeting, for start or finish times.
- Fire and Rescue—Chief Mike Quinn attended the meeting and provided an overview of the current and future activities of the Fire and Rescue Service. Of particular interest, Fire and Rescue is developing an information night for the community to attend the fire hall with questions on all things relating to fire safety and the working relationship between the various fire and emergency services and including coordination with the ferry service.
- Committees—For those Islanders who are interested in serving on a Committee appointed by Council, the current plan of Council is to advertise in May for people to apply for positions on each Committee. In the material before Council for the April 8th meeting there is a draft Committee Policy which will apply to each Committee and each member. You can access the Policy at frontenacislands.ca , click on News and Notices, click on Council Meeting April 8, 2019 and go to Part 4 of the Agenda.
Note: If you are a member of HIRA, thank you for supporting your Community association. If you are not a member, please consider joining at $10 per year or $100 for a life time.
NOTE: Note the date for the HIRA PANCAKE BREAKFAST: Monday May 20, 2019 8:30-11:00 am at St Philomena’s.