A ‘must read’. Contains ferry and 2007 budget information. Visit the Township site occasionally to see this and other local government communications. Contact HIRA at email@example.com to obtain a valid login so that you can all that this site has to offer!Township 2007 Newsletter
Archives for August 2007
HEAVY TRUCK RESTRICTIONS LIFTED DURING RUSH HOURS
At the council meeting on August 13, held in the Town Office on Howe Island, Carl and Heather Lippert requested for the second time that all restrictions on heavy vehicles during morning and evening rush hours be removed.
They had tabled this request to Council at the June meeting. Following a brief discussion at that meeting, the mayor instructed council and staff to:
- Review request with Howe Islanders
- Review request with ferry operators
- Provide feedback to council to be discussed at the August Howe Island council meeting.
At the Monday August 13th, council meeting, no information was presented to the mayor as requested. HIRA did send a letter to council requesting no changes be made that would negatively interfere with current traffic flows.
Council discussion moved on to suggesting compromises and a majority voted in favour of this resolution:
“THAT COUNCIL RECOMMEND TO THE COUNTY OF FRONTENAC THAT THE TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS ON THE HOWE ISLAND FERRY BE AMENDED TO ALLOW TRUCK ACCESS WITH GROSS WEIGHT LIMITED TO ALLOW THE FERRY TO BE FILLED WITH OTHER VEHICULAR TRAFFIC AT ALL HOURS OF OPERATION.”
A recorded vote was this resolution passed 3 votes to 2.
In favour: Wayne Grant, Denis Doyle, Matt Fiene
Opposed: Pat Norris, Mayor Vanden Hoek
What will happen now?
This resolution will be sent to the Frontenac County, operator of the ferry.
We’re unsure as to how the county deals with requests such as this.
HIRA does urge all Islanders who have strong feelings for or against this anticipated change in restrictions or clarity on the resolution to write to Liz Fulton, Chief Administration Officer of Frontenac County at firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com and Roger Scott-Taggart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We at HIRA will keep you informed of the status of this situation.
Roger Scott-Taggart HIRA President
Terry Botten HIRA Vice President
The 2nd annual Howe Island Terry Fox Run is planned for Sunday September 16th . Last year, a small group of participants raised almost $6000.00 for cancer research. This year we hope to double both participation and funds raised. Please invite your family and friends to join you for a day of fun and exercise, and help us to reach our goal! Visit the Terry Fox Homepage to find out more about this annual Canadian event!
- Registration at the main ferry parking lot between 8:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.
- Official ribbon cutting by Howe Island Fire Department at 8:30 a.m.
- Participants may begin their walk/run/ride any time after 8:30 and before 10:30 a.m.
- Two routes from which to choose, both well signed and each with 2 water/rest stations along the route
- Route #1- From ferry to ferry along Howe Island Drive, approximately 14.5 km.
- Route #2- A circuit starting and finishing at the main ferry via Howe Island Drive, the Lower Side Road and the North Shore Road, approximately 10.5 km.
- All participants will receive an official certificate of participation with the 2007 sticker
- Shuttle service will be available for participants (and their bikes) on both routes
- Participants walking dogs are encouraged to choose the circuit route.
- Participants on horseback should register before September 16th by calling Pat at 613 549 6585
- A limited number of Terry Fox t-shirts are now available
- If you are unable to attend on the 16th, please consider sponsoring a friend or neighbor
- For further information call Pat at 613 549 6585 or email email@example.com
at the VEGGIES stand and at the Udder-D-Lite Chip Wagon
Linked below are the final minutes of last board meeting.2007-08-09 HIRA Minutes
To all HIRA Members
It is time to show your support of HIRA by renewing your Membership Annual Dues for June 2007 to 2008.
$10 payable to HIRA c/o Gary Hall — 213 Goodfriend Drive. 613-545-0806
(or any other member of the HIRA Executive should that be more convenient for you)
In an effort to collect membership fees, and Sign new members, for your convenience:
Members of the HIRA Executive will be Present at the Recycle Depot
- Saturday,August 11, 10 to 12,
- Thursday, August 16, 6-8
- Saturday August 18, 10 to 12
There is an electronic Membership Form at the HIRA website, should you need it!!!
Looking forward to your continued support!!!
All Members of HIRA are always welcome to attend HIRA Meetings.
The next Meeting of the HIRA Executive will be August 30, 2007, 7:30 p.m. at St. Philomena Church Hall.
A HIRA Executive meeting was held August 9, 2007 at St. Philomena Hall.
Please note that , to keep you informed, the Minutes of all HIRA Meetings are posted to the Web Site at www.howeisland.org. CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!
In the past 21 months we are proud to say that there was value gained,
from joining our Association. HIRA was active in many areas such as:
- The Ferry situation
- MPAC assessments
- The Municipal Budget
- The HIRA website
- Municipal Election Meeting
- Emergency Response
Many members were involved and contributed time and skills to working on these topics. The ferry situation and Budget issues remain ongoing concerns and if you would like to help, HIRA
will welcome your support.
Last years Board of Directors has been replaced , at the AGM held on June 8th, with Heather Lippert , Aileen Beehler, Michael Hickey , Jim Mills and Austin Page stepping down . The new Board
members are ;
- Roger Scott-Taggart ( President)
- Terry Botten ( Vice President )
- Gary Hall ( Treasurer)
- Brian Humphrys (Planning)
- Faye Muller (Communication & Membership
- Gary Nichol ( Secretary)
- Lisa Webb Director at Large
- Geoff Hobbs Director at Large
We will take some time to sort out our priorities and then discuss them with you at a general meeting in the Fall.
!!!PLEASE REMEMBER TO ADVISE ME SHOULD YOU CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS!!!
Memberships and Communication
In an effort to collect membership fees, and sign new members, for your convenience, members of the HIRA Executive will be Present at the Howe Island Recycle Depot Saturday August 18, 10 to 12am.
Next Thursday, August 23, and Next Saturday,August 25, 2007