We wish to report to the members of HIRA and to potential members what HIRA has been doing over the past year and our plans for the ensuing period.
Your Board of Directors is hopeful that you will continue to support HIRA, your Howe Island community association. If you are not a member please consider joining HIRA. If you are a new member of HIRA, welcome.
Dues for one year are $10, for two years $20 or for a life time $100.If you have not paid your dues for this year (July 1 2017-June 30 2018) please do so.
Cheques for membership should be payable to HIRA and sent or delivered to HIRA’s Treasurer, Peter Tucker at 2392 Howe Island Drive, Howe Island K7G 2V6 or delivered to one of the following HIRA Directors: Bill Robertson, Jim Mills, Brian Humphrys, or Bill Worona.
THIS PAST YEAR, HIRA HAS:
- Arranged a Pitch-In campaign to clean roadside rubbish from all Howe Island roads; Pitch-In for 2018 will be April 21,2018
- Made representations to Township Council regarding possible amendments to the Official Plan on lot sizes for Howe Island
- Arranged for an OPP Officer and Community Support Officer to attend HIRA’s Annual General Meeting to speak about various forms of SCAMS
- Conducted a Howe Island photo contest
- Provided updated news about the Island on the HIRA Web site at www.howeisland.org
- Made representations to Township Council regarding ferry fees both before and at Council’s public meeting on August 29th 2017
- Made representations to Township Council regarding the installation of internet connected cameras at ferry terminals to give ferry users real time views of each ferry’s position and line up status.
HIRA NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT FOR
- Continuing to represent Islanders in assisting and occasionally persuading Township Council on matters that come before Council
- Updating the HIRA Web site at www.howeisland.org, including creating a community notice board for members to announce upcoming events on Howe Island
- Communicating with members on important matters affecting Howe Is.
- Conducting community events that bring Howe Islanders together
- Attending Township Council meetings in order to keep HIRA members informed of matters being dealt with at Council
- Arranging meetings with interesting outside speakers on a range of subjects from health care to current events.
- If you would like to get involved with any of our ongoing projects please let us know.
If you have an interest in joining the HIRA Board please speak to Jim Mills at 613-546-7536.
Many thanks for your continued support. The more members we have the louder our voice in communicating with all levels of government.
HIRA Board of Directors